Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Showing promise mid-week

Three days into the 1960s Top 200 marathon, and only one of the songs I picked has made the list. To me, this is a sign of good things to come. There are 60 songs left in the Fork's list, and I've got about 20 predicted songs left in my list, most of which should make the cut during the next two days.

But who knows. I really thought Mrs. Robinson would be higher than 94 for two reasons, both attesting to its relevance to people like me: The Lemonheads cover was excellent and popular - probably still one of the only Lemonheads songs many people are familiar with - and of course The Graduate, which every film school student is familiar with and every indie-rocker has seen. After all, "films" (more commonly referred to as "movies" by everyone except film school graduates, movie critics and pretentious wankers) go hand-in-hand with indie-rock.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

I'm a little disappointed with the upper reaches of the list. I wouldn't want them to just throw out obscure songs just for the sake of it, but..."Leader of the Pack"?! I'm love girl-group stuff, but there's a big difference between a "good" pop song and a "just for fun" pop song, and "Leader of the Pack" is definitely the latter.

I was just hoping for a few more finds, some amazing songs that I'd never heard before (like "Laisse tomber les filles", which blew my mind). It's still an interesting list, and I'll still try to get every one of those songs on my computer, but it's starting to look more like an oldies station playlist. Nothing wrong with that--I love oldies stations--but I was hoping for something a little more...revelatory.

17/8/06 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home