Monday, August 14, 2006

Rolling with it

PF threw me a curveball today: no new reviews all week. Instead, a five-day feature on the 200 songs from the 1960s that most resonate with my g-g-generation. How these songs are decided upon is a mystery to me, but in a desperate attempt to stay current I'm running with it.

I've come up with a quick list of songs that I think will almost certainly make it, along with my predicted ranking out of 200. Unfortunately I missed any of today's songs - Numbers 200 - 150 - because the Fork somehow forgot to give me a head's up!

Mr. Tower's randomly predicted list of some of PF's top 200 songs of the 1960s:

Your Time is Gonna Come - Led Zeppelin (90)
Ticket to Ride - Beatles (76)
Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel (49) Actual ranking: 37
Last Train to Clarksville - Monkees (21)
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf (20)
Happiness is a Warm Gun - Beatles (17)
The Kids Are Alright - Who (15) Actual ranking: 34
Ruby Tuesday - Rolling Stones (14)
My Generation - Who (13)
Tomorrow Never Knows - Beatles (12) Actual ranking: 19
Fortunate Son - CCR (11) Actual ranking: 17
Daydream Believer - Monkees (10) Actual ranking: 54
I Can't Explain - Who (9) Actual ranking: 9
No Fun - Stooges (8)
God Only Knows - Beach Boys (7) Actual ranking: 1
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones (6) Actual ranking: 39
She Said She Said - Beatles (5)
Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel (4) Actual ranking: 94.
Wouldn't it be Nice - Beach Boys (3) Actual ranking: 7
A Day in the Life - Beatles (2) Actual ranking: 5
I Wanna Be Your Dog - Stooges (1) Actual ranking: 16

There is some reasoning behind a few of these rankings. If you want to discuss feel free to comment and I'll add my two cents. I may add a few more as the week goes on.

10 Comments:

Blogger one05northtower said...

They will definitely review the next set of Cure reissues that came out sometime next week. search "the cure deluxe" on scrapetorrent.com to find them cheaply, as all are expensive two-disc sets you might not want. also, this link might me useful: http://www.metacritic.com/music/upcomingreleases.shtml for finding out release dates of possible upcoming releases. I'm unfamiliar with many of them, so pitchfork will probably pull some from this. -ethan

15/8/06 8:38 AM  
Blogger Trellick Tower said...

I agree, I love those Cure albums and will definitely try to find time to post something on them!

15/8/06 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love will get a really high rating because the guy just died... i feel like that and syd barrett spurred this ridiculous list on.

15/8/06 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious: "From today until Friday, we'll roll out the 200 songs that most resonate with a generation too young to have experienced the decade firsthand, but old enough to know it had more to offer than "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"." Then they list "Louie, Louie." WOW, GUYS, you are really BROADENING my horizons! It would be excusable if they were just gonna try and highlight the lesser-known stuff from the era, but a lot of the stuff is as well-known as "Satisfaction," if not more. I guess maybe they have it in for the Stones? Not wise to do a 60's best-of, then, since they did some really influential (and amazing) stuff in the 60's! And by the by, "Moulty" is one of the worst songs on Nuggets.

15/8/06 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it weird that we're up to 60 and there's not a single Beatles track? I can see that they don't want to get all reverent and be predictable, but ... "Moulty"? Terry Riley? "Favorite Things" by Coltrane? Who the F. listens to "Favorite Things" today? (It's as if somebody suddenly realized, Hey, wasn't Coltrane around in the 60's? Shit!) God I hate these orthodox Chicago hipsters....
And really, Tower, "I Wanna Be Your Dog"? Not even the best Stooges song!

17/8/06 12:21 AM  
Blogger Trellick Tower said...

I agree the Beatles thing is strange. But it was basically the biggest thing to happen musically in the 60s, so if there is a band that deserves to not appear in the bottom 140, I'd say that's the one.

Re: the Stooges. I was going for overall relevance to the decade/generation in question! It's not my favourite either.

Btw, I pride myself on being an unorthodox hipster.

17/8/06 8:04 AM  
Blogger John C. said...

The Beatles thing makes absolutely perfect sense: they're limiting themselves to only 5 songs per artists, and all 5 Beatles songs will show up in the top 60. ("Eleanor Rigby," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "I Am the Walrus" have already placed, and so I imagine we'll see two more in the top 20, one of which is almost certainly "Tomorrow Never Knows.")

17/8/06 11:45 AM  
Blogger Trellick Tower said...

For me it was a toss up between Tomorrow Never Knows and She Said She Said. I didn't think three songs from Revolver would make the list, so I picked the one I prefer. I'll go add Tomorrow Never Knows to #12.

17/8/06 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paperback Writer, No. 1.

I'm less cranky this time, by the way.

Love always, anonymous.

17/8/06 11:00 PM  
Blogger Trellick Tower said...

I missed that one!

18/8/06 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home