Saturday, June 03, 2006

First assignment *

This is a tough job. Not only do I need to predict the rating that may be coming from the Fork, I first need to predict which albums will be chosen to be reviewed. The site has become more mainstream in the past few years, so that albums like the new Red Hot Chili Peppers' get immediately reviewed. So albums and bands like that will be what I look for first when searching for possible reviews. As for a lot of Pitchfork's other reviews, well half the time I haven't even heard of the albums or bands. And you can't predict the rating if you don't know what's coming up. Welcome to my nightmare.

Item 1: Off to a rousing start. My favourite band of all time - The Replacements. It has a new album coming out, a compilation of songs from all of its albums, as well as two new songs. Pitchfork has always been, more or less, all about indie. The Replacements were of course very much about indie, and helped define the modern rock genre. As such, Mr. Tower predicts an 8.6 for this album. Actual rating: 8.8. Point differential: 0.2. Cumulative point differential: 0.2.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Trellick Tower said...

True, but that would remove part of the challenge as well as the inexplicable thrill I get in my groinal region when I see one of my predictions realized.

11/7/06 9:51 AM  
Blogger Rachelandthecity said...

great site!

9/8/06 10:37 AM  
Blogger Trellick Tower said...

Thanks rachelandthecity, just checked yours out. I finally know where the Wilco buildings came from.

9/8/06 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should expand the site so that folks can make comments on pitchfork reviews, since pitchfork does not deign to provide for that.

11/8/06 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home